Pune Metro Jagruti Abhiyan (PMJA)[edit | edit source]
The Pune Municipal Corporation has approved the Pune Metro Plan as per the DMRC report without any independent study and without taking the people into confidence. Pune Metro is a very expensive project with a long term irreversible commitment for the city. Hence citizens expect complete transparency before any final decision is taken as per the DMRC report.
Aims and objectives[edit | edit source]
To create public awareness about the metro proposal so that people understand what is being planned and what will be the impact. This would help them form a considered opinion and decide whether they want the metro as it has been presently planned.
Activities[edit | edit source]
- To conduct mass awareness campaigns through all available means
- To conduct workshops for volunteers who would then be able to hold meetings in their neighbourhoods / organizations / offices / institutions
- To empower citizens to give presentations regarding the metro proposal. We have prepared citizen friendly power point presentation capsules for the purpose.
- To launch a mass signature campaign of citizens who wish to object to the project
- To interact and correspond with Elected representatives, Political leaders, Central, State and Local Administration to impress upon them the problems in the present metro proposal
We, as citizens and main stakeholders, have serious reservations about DMRC’s selection of metro type and routes in terms of transportation needs, practical feasibility considering severe site constraints, impacts on city and citizens, people friendliness and viability.
Our demands[edit | edit source]
- Government should not give approval to the present Pune Metro plan
- PMC should not float any tenders and award work orders for metro in the present form
- Independent appraisal and scrutiny of DMRC report should be done by technical experts with active participation of citizen groups
- Formation of 'Pune Metro Citizen Committee' comprising of experts, citizen groups, and PMC officers
- Public meetings (similar to Lok Adalat) should be organized by PMC in various areas where PMC officers should answer all questions and doubts put forth by citizens
- Integrated Master plan for Traffic & Transportation for Pune Metropolitan Region (PMC , PCMC etc.) should be prepared considering various mobility options and transport modes before taking any decision in the matter of mass transport systems like Metro
- Final decision should be taken only in consultation with the public.
We request for your support and active participation in this Citizens' campaign.
We are holding the first unique Pune Metro citizen orientation workshop on April 26th, Monday between 6 to 7.30 p m at the Moolgavkar Hall, ICC Centre, Senapati Bapat Road. We are holding the workshop in association with Janwani.We invite you for the workshop. Please do come.