The People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, is the second largest country on the African continent. It is bordered by Tunisia in the northeast, Libya in the east, Niger in the southeast, Mali and Mauritania in the southwest, and Morocco as well as a few kilometers of the Western Sahara, in the west. Constitutionally, Algeria is defined as an Islamic, Arab, and Amazigh (Berber) country. Algeria is a member of the African Union; it is also a member of OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries).
Governance[edit | edit source]
The head of state is the President of the Republic, who is elected to a 5-year term, renewable once. Algeria has universal suffrage at age 18. The President is the head of the Council of Ministers and of the High Security Council. He appoints the Prime Minister who is also the head of government. The Prime Minister appoints the Council of Ministers.
The Algerian parliament is bicameral, consisting of a lower chamber, the National People's Assembly (APN), with 380 members; and an upper chamber, the Council Of Nation, with 144 members. The APN is elected every 5 years.
Under the 1976 constitution (as modified 1979, and amended in 1988, 1989, and 1996) Algeria is a multi-party state. All parties must be approved by the Ministry of the Interior. To date, Algeria has had more than 40 legal political parties. According to the constitution, no political association may be formed if it is "based on differences in religion, language, race, gender or region."
Adrar | Chlef | Laghouat | Oum el-Bouaghi | Batna | Béjaïa | Biskra | Béchar | Blida | Bouira | Tamanghasset | Tébessa | Tlemcen | Tiaret | Tizi Ouzou | Algiers | Djelfa | Jijel | Sétif | Saida | Skikda | Sidi Bel Abbes | Annaba | Guelma | Constantine | Médéa | Mostaganem | M'Sila | Mascara | Ouargla | Oran | El Bayadh | Illizi | Bordj Bou Arréridj | Boumerdès | El Tarf | Tindouf | Tissemsilt | El Oued | Khenchela | Souk Ahras | Tipasa | Mila | Aïn Defla | Naama | Aïn Témouchent | Ghardaïa | Relizane
References[edit | edit source]
- CIA Factbook
- http://www.apn-dz.org/apn/english/constitution96/preambule.htm Constitution 1996
[edit | edit source]
- El Mouradia official presidential site (in French and Arabic)
- National People's Assembly official parliamentary site
- Algerian Community Forum
- Algeria News & Events
- Algerian Press Service
- allAfrica.com - Algeria news headline links
- The North Africa Journal business news
- Algerian websites and news in Arabic news
- (French) Template:Ar icon Template:En icon News and Views of the Maghreb
- Template:CIA World Factbook link
- Library of Congress - Country Study: Algeria data as of December 1993
- OECD DEV/AfDB - Country Study: Algeria
- Open Directory Project - Algeria directory category
- Algeria Watch human rights organization critical of widespread torture practiced by the régime (in French)
- Algeria’s past needs opening, not closing Analysis on the public referendum held 29 September 2005 by Veerle Opgenhaffen and Hanny Megally
- all City of Algéria
- Algerian-English Online Dictionary
- Voter turnout, Gender quotas, Electoral system design and Political party financing in Algeria